Here’s a look at my Cozy Autumn Journal pages from the wider spine version I just completed. If you remember from the other tutorial, I’ve left the outside front cover plain so it can slip inside a book box. You can see the outside spine below, featuring a handle to pull the book in and out of the box.
Pocket elements were created with papers and elements from the journal book kit. Inside the front cover I’ve used a paper/page from the kit to create a left side opening pocket the height of the book. Ribbon accents cut from the kit were added then a mini pocket element was added on top.
Here’s another pocket page, using a pocket element from the kit, to hold extra recipe cards. A tiny clothespin clips the extra cards together. The clothespin could also be used to mark a page for a special recipe you are using.
Lots of these larger recipe pages were used in the book.
Here is a flip up page created with one of the pre-designed book pages, cut down to fit. I cut the paper about 1/4″ narrower than the normal page size also adding a tab at the top when cutting it out. Before closing up the page, to add it to the book, I’ve attached the paper tab to the page inside, then closed up the page.
***I’ve added directions at the end of the pics for this easy to make flip up recipe card page. When you flip up all three cards, there is a pocket underneath, created with a recipe card. The pocket opens from the left side.
Another pocket page made by using one of the pre-designed book pages.
Another pocket page from the kit with a mini pocket added to the outside.
Pocket page on the left from the kit, pocket element from the kit used on the inside back cover.
Directions for flip up recipe cards page . . .
- cut out 4 of the floral recipe cards adding a 1/2″ tall tab to the large floral end of the card. Miter the left and right corners of the tabs. Score where the card edge stops and the tab begins then fold the tab to the back of the card.
- cut out 3 of the plain recipe cards (no tab needed)
- Use score tape and attach the plain recipe card to the back of the floral recipe card . . . be sure to check orientation of the plain card in relation to the floral one!
- print a paper from the kit and cut a piece out that measures: 3.5 w by 6.25 h
- 1/4″ from the top cut a 3″ slit across the width of the paper
- slip a recipe card tab inside the slit and attach the tab to the backside of the paper with score tape
- repeat the above adding 2 more recipe cards to the strip of paper
- distress all edges if you like
- add score tape the the backside of the flip up recipe card section and attach to the book page.
- add an additional floral recipe card underneath the flip cards, leaving unattached at the left side to create a pocket.
Book spine finished . . .
I’ll work on the book box this evening and hopefully have that ready to show you tomorrow, late evening.
Hope this gave you some fun ideas for page!!
All Content and Images
© 2010-2017 Teri Hanson / The Covered Chipboard
All rights reserved.