Hello Friends! I’ve just finished up the Dragonfly Lamp from the Boho Butterflies SVG Kit by SVGCuts and wanted to share the process with you all. First, this is a fantastic project, not hard to do and would make a great gift or home decor item! Check out the kit when you get a chance!!
When I began this project I knew that I wanted an antique vintage look to it – as close to a traditional Tiffany style lamp as I could get. My go to papers for projects that have steel or metal on them are Bazzill Bling Cardstock in either black (Black Tie) or brown (Sugar Daddy). In this case I’ve used the Sugar Daddy for the main base construction then added panels cut from a paper I found at Michaels: Cartulina Cardstock. All have a sparkle sheen to them.
Once the base was constructed I dry brushed it with Folk Art acrylic paint in Copper and Turquoise as seen below. The lamp base is actually constructed then pushed down over top of the candle lamp and sealed up at the bottom. Not thinking ahead this time, I would alter the base like I did on the Christmas Tree project so that the candle lamp could easily be replaced.
Now here is where things got a little tricky. You are supposed to cut three of the black sections that create the metal frame of the lamp shade, then six each of three different shapes in Vellum to create the glass areas. The instructions tell you to use markers and color both sides of all vellum pieces to get the color dark enough, then glue the vellum shapes onto the black lead sections.
I found this to be a bit to tedious for my patience level and when done … it looked to much like colored vellum pieces to me … not the look I had in my head. So I posted the base online and mentioned that I wasn’t happy with the look of the shade. Someone was kind enough to reply that they had brought the SVG files for the shade into their Silhouette machine, colored it, and then print and cut all in one swoop. So I thought ok … I’ll give that a try. Once again, I wasn’t totally pleased with the look. Then a thought struck me …. what about combining Transparency film with the vellum?
You can see below where I’ve printed the images on the Transparency film and the depth of color I was able to get. This …. I liked! And once the plain vellum pieces were placed behind the transparency film, it was perfect.
Below is a look at the SVG file inside Silhouette studio, colored and ready to be printed. One thing to note … you print on the tooth or rough side of transparency film. Totally forgetting about this, the design was mirrored when I went to place the pieces on the black iron sections. This left me having to use the rough side facing outward. An issue with this is when you go to clean the shade …. the ink can be rubbed off. However … I was pleased with the texture it gave the glass areas.
What I finally did was to first spray the printed transparency film images with a matte spray sealer, then attach the pieces to the iron sections, rough side out, with glue. I then glued on the vellum pieces and finished the shade construction.
Below you can see the finished shade, attached to the lamp base. At this point the shade had the texture I wanted but not the shine so I painted all the glass areas with DuraClear gloss varnish. The shade was finished up with some gems glued around the shade.
Another note …. as you can see below, the green leaves at the top of the shade are washed out. I thought I had the color dark enough but in the end, it needed to be darker. You might want to make a test piece for your shade and hold it up to various lights before you print them all.
In the end I’m pretty pleased with the little lamp and look forward to making more of these in the future. I think I’ll be trying my hand at changing up the design on the shade for the next one!
Happy Crafting ….
All Content and Images
© 2010-2017 Teri Hanson / The Covered Chipboard
All rights reserved.