One project I wanted to make last year from Cricut Design Space was the Victorian Hearse and Coffin! When I didn’t find time for it then I knew I’d be making it this year. Follow along and make note of the changes I’ve made to it. I would like to say that the PDF Instructions included in the details for the project are great! Very easy to understand and nice graphics to see. Be sure to download it and save it to your hard drive so you can follow along while working.
Materials used . . .
- Cricut Shimmer Paper from the Sampler Pack in black, orange/rust and gold
- Cricut Cardstock in black
- .007 plastic
- score tape
YOU CAN FIND THE PDF CRICUT INSTRUCTIONS AT THE END OF THIS POST
There were a couple issues in using the shimmer paper but I found a way around them. One was the white backing on the paper. Because of the backing the paper does not glue together well. To avoid the project coming apart in the future I’ve combined both score tape and glue on all sections. The other was the white backing showing through inside the hearse. You can see below that I simply created additional pieces for the inside, cut them from black cardstock and glued them in place.
Here’s a look at the pieces cut (excluding the inside black pieces).
*NOTE: place the shimmer paper on the mat with shimmer side down. This way the score lines are not only easy to see but also will fold in the correct direction.
As you can see below, clear plastic was cut to fit and added to the inside as well. This was to help keep dust out. One thought …. I’ve added the plastic after the black inside sections were added but …. I think it would look nicer if you added the plastic first then placed the black sections over the plastic. That way the score tape won’t be seen through the plastic.
*NOTE: If you want to decorate the inside beyond just the coffin, leave one of the larger plastic sides off so you can get your hands inside.
If you are following the PDF instructions you will see that your next step is to add the roof sections. The problem with this – only if you are using the plastic pieces – is that you cant add the plastic once the roof is on and you cant get your hand inside if you add the plastic. Soooooo at this point I would add the coffin and decorate the inside. Be careful to not cover the small hole on the bottom section with your decorations.
So next up is the Coffin. I had an issue with this as it seemed the bottom part was to large for the top and they didn’t sit together well. So using the link I provided above, the coffin bottom section has been reduced a tad in size. You should find this a better fit.
Another alteration I did was to change the top flat section that goes inside under the vaulted roof. I added hinges for glueing to the inside as well as a hole in the center where you could place a tea light if you like.
And to make it easy to get to the light …. I’ve added a handle to the roof so you can easily place and remove it as needed.
The roof just rests on top of the inner roof side hinges.
Now I’ll add the final side pieces.
Driver’s seat and Mr. Skeleton . . .
Now the wheels ….. I’m sure how I’ve created my wheels are not what the instructions show but for me it worked and my wheels are nice and sturdy. I cut extra pieces for all four wheels – 4 of the small and 4 of the large – these are shown in beige on the cutting file.
For the wheel wrap strips, use a black sharpie to color the white edges before attaching to the wheel. Or if you don’t want to use the strips then paint the edges of the wheels black like I have.
I glued two black wheels with wrong sides together, two copper wheels with wrong sides together then two more black wheels with wrong sides together. I then glued all three groups together with the copper wheel in the center and offset the spokes. The hubcap was cut in gold and glued to the outside of the wheel.
For the wheel axels I’ve used wood skewers painted black. As you can see below the wheel base has been completed!
My opinion …. this was a fun project for Halloween and I’d suggest it to everyone!