Pattern by Teri Hanson © Jan 2020
If you are looking for a cozy, warm, quick and easy blanket …. look no further. It’s sure to become your favorite blanket to snuggle up with on a wintery night. With only three basic stitches used, a large size afghan can be worked up quickly.
Don’t you just love the look of the very bottom row in cream! Nice texture was created by simply alternating a SC and DC across the row. Easy peasy!!!
Skill Level: beginner and beyond
Bernat Blanket Yarn
- Whipped Cream – 2 of 10.5 oz balls (Vintage White is the same)
- Light Teal – 3 of 5.3 oz balls
- Mulled Frost (variegated) – 1 of 10.5 oz balls and 1 of 5.3 oz balls
Crochet Hook: size N/10 US – if you have tight tension you might want to go up to an 11mm hook
Stitch Guide . . . You can find video tutorials for all stitches used in this project online or click the link below if available.
- FSC – foundation single crochet
- TRN – turn work
- YO – yarn over
- CH – chain
- SC – single crochet
- DC – double crochet
- HDC – half double crochet
Pattern . . . Instructions are given in order of stripes then rows. Note that some rows are repeated at a certain point.
Note that row 4 consists of a single teal stripe, a multi-color stripe, a single cream stripe, a multi-color stripe and a single teal stripe. A repeat pattern begins after row 7.
STRIPE ONE . . .
Begin with 81 FSC (Foundation single crochet) stitches in Whipped Cream yarn.
- Row 1 – TRN, CH1, work a SC in each stitch across the row to the end. 81 SC total
- Row 2 – TRN, CH1, repeat row 1
- Row 3 – TRN, CH1, work a SC in each of the first two stitches, *DC in next stitch, SC in next stitch*. Repeat from * across the row to the last two stitches. Work a SC in each of the last two stitches.
- Row 4 – repeat row 1
- Row 5 – repeat row 3
- Row 6 – repeat row 1
- Row 7 – repeat row 3
- Row 8-10 – repeat row 1
STRIPE TWO . . .
Switch over to the Teal yarn for this next section to work the Half Double Crochet stitch.
- Row 1 – TRN, CH1, begin in first stitch from hook and work a HDC in each stitch across the row.
- Row 2 – repeat row 1
- Row 3 – repeat row 1
STRIPE THREE . . .
Switch back to the Whipped Cream yarn. This is a repeat of Stripe 1
STRIPE FOUR . . .
This stripe will be worked in: Teal, Mulled Frost and Whipped Cream yarns.
- Row 1 – TRN, CH1, work a HDC in each stitch across the row with Teal yarn
- Row 2-4 – TRN, CH1, work a HDC in each stitch across the row with Mulled Frost yarn
- Row 5 – TRN, CH1, work a HDC in each stitch across the row with Whipped Cream Yarn
- Row 6-8 – repeat row 2-4 in Mulled Frost yarn
- Row 9 – repeat row 1
STRIPE FIVE . . .
Worked in Whipped Cream yarn.
- Row 1 – TRN, CH1, work SC in each stitch across the row in Whipped Cream
- Row 2-3 – repeat row 1
STRIPE SIX . . .
- Repeat Stripe 2
STRIPE SEVEN . . .
- Repeat Stripe 5
STRIPE EIGHT . . .
- Repeat Stripe 4
STRIPE NINE . . .
- Repeat of row 5
STRIPE TEN . . .
- Repeat of row 6
STRIPE ELEVEN . . .
- Repeat of row 7
STRIPE TWELVE . . .
- Repeat of row 4
STRIPE THIRTEEN . . .
- Repeat of row 3
STRIPE FOURTEEN . . .
- Repeat of row 2
Border . . .
Prepare your blanket for a border by working a SC stitch – in each stitch – around all four sides. In each corner you should work 2SC, CH1, 2SC to keep the corners from curling.
I left only the single row of SC around all edges of the blanket for a border. I just felt it didn’t need anything else but feel free to add as wide of a border as you like for your own blanket!
Thanks for visiting and I hope you were inspired to give this easy project a try!!
Happy Crocheting ….