A Crochet Sampler Afghan created for beginners.
Pattern by Teri Hanson © Jan 2020
Materials – Yarn is listed in order of use except Soft Taupe which has been used as a divider color and in the border. I’m using a 5.5mm crochet hook because I tend to have tighter tension. The yarn suggests 5mm to 5.5mm based upon tight or loose tension. Choose what you are most comfortable with as it will not affect the stitches, only the finished size of your project.
- Misty Blue
- Green Lagoon
- Soft Taupe
Stitch Guide ….
- FSC – foundation single crochet
- YO – yarn over
- TRN – turn your work
- CH – chain stitch
- SC – single crochet
- BS – berry stitch
- HDC – half double crochet
- HDC BL – half double crochet in back loop
- HDC 3RDL – half double crochet in third loop
- DC – double crochet
- ZZP – zig zag puff stitch
- HHDC – herringbone half double
- CS – cluster stitch
- MS – mesh stitch
- SS – shell stitch
Symbol * indicates to repeat stitches shown between the two * symbols.
SECTION THREE . . .
Double and Single Stitches worked in Green Lagoon yarn.
Double Crochet: YO, insert hook, YO, pull through, YO, pull through first two loops on hook, YO, pull through last two loops on hook.
- Row 1 – TRN, CH2, begin in second stitch from hook, work a DC in each stitch across the entire row
- Row 2 – TRN, CH1, begin in first stitch from the hook, work a SC in each stitch across the entire row
- Row 3 -repeat row 1
- Row 4 – repeat row 2
- Row 5 – With Soft Taupe work a SC in each stitch across entire row to create the divider row. At the end of the row change over to the Smoky color yarn.
SECTION FOUR …
Zig Zag Puff Stitch worked in Smoke color yarn.
Zig Zag Puff Stitch: insert hook into stitch YO and pull up a loop, YO, insert into same stitch, YO and pull through, YO, insert into same stitch, YO and pull through (6 loops on hook), YO and pull through all six loops on hook, YO and pull through remaining loop on hook to secure stitch.
NOTE: the video says to begin in 3rd stitch from hook – what I want you to do is to start in the 2nd stitch from the hook.
- Row 1 – TRN, CH1, work a SC in each stitch across entire row.
- Row 2 – TRN, CH2, start in the second stitch from hook and *work a ZZP stitch, skip the next stitch, work a ZZP in next stitch, skip next stitch* then repeat * to the end of the row. You will end the row with a DC in the last stitch.
- Row 3-5 – repeat row 2.
- Row 6 – Repeat row 1.
Row 7 – With Soft Taupe work a SC in each stitch across entire row to create the divider row. At the end of the row change over to the Misty Blue color yarn.
Thanks for trying out my pattern! Go to Part 3.