A Crochet Sampler Afghan created for beginners.
Pattern by Teri Hanson © Jan 2020
Materials – Yarn is listed in order of use except Soft Taupe which has been used as a divider color and in the border. I’m using a 5.5mm crochet hook because I tend to have tighter tension. The yarn suggests 5mm to 5.5mm based upon tight or loose tension. Choose what you are most comfortable with as it will not affect the stitches, only the finished size of your project.
- Misty Blue
- Green Lagoon
- Soft Taupe
Stitch Guide ….
- FSC – foundation single crochet
- YO – yarn over
- TRN – turn your work
- CH – chain stitch
- SC – single crochet
- BS – berry stitch
- HDC – half double crochet
- HDC BL – half double crochet in back loop
- HDC 3RDL – half double crochet in third loop
- DC – double crochet
- ZZP – zig zag puff stitch
- HHDC – herringbone half double
- CS – cluster stitch
- MS – mesh stitch
- SS – shell stitch
Symbol * indicates to repeat stitches shown between the two * symbols.
SECTION FIVE ….
Herringbone Half Double Crochet with Misty Blue color yarn
Herringbone Half Double Crochet: YO, insert hook into stitch, YO, pull back through and pull through first loop on hook leaving 2 loops on hook, YO, pull through both loops on hook.
- Row 1 – TRN, CH2, work a HHDC in each stitch across the entire row
- Row 2-5 – repeat row 1
Row 6 – With Soft Taupe work a SC in each stitch across entire row to create the divider row. At the end of the row change over to the Plum color yarn.
SECTION SIX ….
Cluster Stitch worked in Plum color yarn
- Row 1 – TRN, CH1, SC in each stitch for entire row.
- Row 2 – TRN, CH1, SC in 1st st, CH1, sk next st, *SC in next st, CH1, sk next st, SC in next stitch*. Repeat from * to * across entire row.
- Row 3 – TRN, CH3, DC in next st. *Work 1CS into each chain space across entire row as seen in video above.
- Row 4 – repeat row 2
- Row 5 – repeat row 3
- Row 6 – TRN, CH1, SC in each stitch across the entire row.
Row 7 – With Soft Taupe work a SC in each stitch across entire row to create the divider row. At the end of the row change over to the Green Lagoon color yarn.