Halloweenie Town #1 © 2020 Teri Hanson
This year I joined a new Facebook group which inspired me to create a mini haunted house using cardboard and paper. I had so much fun that I’ve decided to make an entire series of these houses and share them with you!
So here’s the deal …. the first one, shown below will be free to all. There will be six houses in the series and once they are finished I’ll place the full set of SVG files on my home shop and Etsy shop for purchase. That way you can have all or just the ones you want.
VISIT OUR SHOP (LINK ABOVE) TO GRAB THE PROJECT!
UPDATED: 10/8/2020 – look for the added Bat Borders file – extra download includes files for all machine types
WATCH THE VIDEO BEFORE YOU BEGIN THE PROJECT!
NOTE . . .
The following images are from sources that I’m unable to share so they will not be in the SVG files. These are easily found images and I’ll leave that to you to choose what you prefer.
Print and cut people are from Artfully Musing – Strange People digital images.
- Cat – #M90AD4AC (cricut design space)
- Tree – #MF7C63C4 (cricut design space)
- Bat – #M8B5E5BA (cricut design space)
- Fence – #MD527785 (cricut design space)
The stonework was created by embossing cardstock using an embossing folder and Cuttlebug machine. I don’t believe this particular folder is available any longer but there are several stone and brick folders that would work. I cut the four pieces to be embossed first then placed the shapes into the embossing folder. It takes two passes: insert the bottom first then emboss a second time with the remainder of the shape in another pass.
Here’s a list of suggested materials based upon what I’ve used …..
- Cricut Kraft Board, thin cereal box cardboard or any thinner cardboard can be used to create the house structure.
- Medium weight chipboard in black was used for the base – 3 sheets that are 6” x 9”
- Cardstock in black, grey, red and brown were used on the house.
- Ranger Distress Ink in Black Soot
- Ranger Distress Oxide ink in Vintage Photo
- Any white pigment ink
- Vellum for windows
- Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks in Butterscotch and/or Red Pepper for coloring the vellum.
SVG FILE KEY . . . double check the files sizes after uploading against those in the included PDF.
Finished size is 6″ x 9″ for the base. The house is 5″ wide by 5.50″ deep and 8.5″ high. Using the SVG files you can easily size it up or down as you like – just remember to select ALL of the images and size them at the same time!!!
I cut four of the tree images, scored most of the height of the trunk in half, folded it and then glued pieces together. Two images were cut normally and two images were mirrored so that branches would go in various directions. Lightly distress the tree images on both sides with white ink.
I’ve used two layers on the window frames for depth and stability. The cat image was glued inside the house to shine through the window.
The base is simply three 6×9 rectangles – cut from chipboard – and glued on top of each other. The fence is glued to the sides to cover up the base edges. As you can see above I cut three more pieces of chipboard and glued them together, then to the base. Cut them just a tad smaller than the house dimensions. Set your light in place and simply rest the house on top around the smaller base.
Anytime I add a fence to a project that is cut from cardstock, I always cut two or three and sandwich them together. This will make the fence thicker and therefore stronger. One thickness just will not stand up well or last for long!
Trim is simply strips of cardstock cut to length and distressed. The same for the top of the chimney and siding on the upper room on the left side.
I created the bat border by simply welding bat shapes together in a line then adding a 1/2″ strip welded to the row of bats. One half of that strip is glued up under the eaves. A larger bat and triangle shape is attached to the top as seen below.
For once I decided to add a hole in the roof of a building!!! Once the roof was completed I just used a craft knife to cut a hole all the way through then used strips of cardstock as boards on top. Place a piece of vellum on the inside of the house where the hole is – to keep the light showing through the same!
I’ve added a little more color to the roof and a sign to the front of the house.
And here’s how I’ve displayed the house . . .
I think that covers it all but if you have questions please feel free to leave them in the comments section below this post!
Have a spooky time and thanks for stopping by!!!